Monday, March 9, 2009

The Second Sunday of Lent

1.) OLD ROMAN LECTIONARY

Introit

(Ps. 24:6, 3, 22; 1, 2)
Remember, O LORD, your mercies and your steadfast love, for they are from of old. Do not let our enemies triumph over us; deliver us, O God of Israel, from all our distress.
To you, O LORD, I have lifted up my soul; in you, my God, I trust. Let me not be put to shame!
V: Glory be to the Father...
Remember, O LORD...
Epistle

(1 Thessalonians 4:1-7)
Brethren:
We urge and exhort in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God (just as you actually do walk), that you should abound more and more; for you know what commands we gave you through the Lord Jesus.
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality, that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in holiness and honor; not in passion of lust like the gentiles who do not know God; and that no one should take advantage of and defraud his brother in this matter, because the Lord is the Avenger of all these things, as we also told you earlier and have all testified. For God did not call us to impurity but in holiness.
Gradual

(Ps. 24 [25]:17, 18)
The troubles of my heart have been multiplied; deliver me from my necessities, O LORD.
V: See my abjection and my hardship, and release all my sins.
Tract

(Ps. 105 [106]:1-4)
Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good, for His mercy is forever.
V: Who will declare the powers of the LORD? Who will set forth all His praises?
V: Blessed are those who keep judgment, and do righteousness at all times!
V: Remember us, O LORD, in the favor of your people; visit us with your salvation.
Gospel

(Matt. 17:1-9)
At that time Jesus took Peter, and James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. And He was transfigured before them, and His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became white as light. And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. Then Peter answered and said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here! If you want, let us make here three booths – one for you, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah."
While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them; and behold, a voice from the cloud, saying, "This is my Son, the beloved, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him!" And when the disciples heard this, they fell down on their faces and were greatly terrified. And Jesus came and touched them and said, "Get up, and do not be afraid." When they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but only Jesus.
And as they were coming down from the mountain, Jesus commanded them, saying, "Tell the vision to no one until the Son of Man is raised from the dead."
Offertory

(cf. Ps. 118 [119]:47-48)
I will meditate on your commandments, which I exceedingly loved; and I will lift my hands to your commandments which I love.
Communion

(cf. Ps. 5:2b-4a)
Understand my cry; hearken to the voice of my prayer, my King and my God; for to you will I pray, O LORD.
2.) NEW ROMAN LECTIONARY

First Reading

(Genesis 22:1-2, 9a, 10-13, 15-18)

God tested Abraham. He said to him, "Abraham!" and he said, "Here I am."
He said, "Take your son, your only son, whom you love, Isaac, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains which I will say to you."
When they came to the place God had told him about, Abraham built the altar there and placed the wood in order. Then Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife in order to slaughter his son. But the messenger of the LORD called to him from heaven and said, "Abraham, Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am."
He said, "Do not extend your hand toward the boy! Do not do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God because you did not withhold your son, your only son, from me."
And Abraham lifted his eyes and saw - and behold - behind him a ram caught in the bushes by its horns. So Abraham went and got the ram and offered it up for a burnt offering instead of his son.
Then the messenger of the LORD called to Abraham a second time from heaven and said, "'By myself I swear' - an oracle of the LORD - 'that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your seed as the stars of the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your seed shall take possession of the gates of their enemies; by your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.'"
Responsorial Psalm

(Psalm 116:10, 15, 16-17, 18-19)

R: (116:9) I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said, "I am greatly afflicted."
Precious in the eyes of the LORD is the death of His godly ones.
R: I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.
O LORD, I am your servant, the son of your handmaid; You have loosed my bonds.
To You I will offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving, and call upon the name of the LORD.
R: I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.
I will pay my vows to the LORD in the presence of all His people,
In the courts of the LORD's house, in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
R: I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.
Second Reading

(Romans 8:31b-34)

Brethren:
If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son but handed Him over for us all – how will He not with Him also freely give us all things?
Who will bring a charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies.
Who is he who will condemn? Christ [Jesus] is the one who died (yes, who was raised), who is at the right hand of God, and who also is interceding for us.
Gospel

(Mark 9:2-10)
Jesus took Peter, and James, and John and led them up on a high mountain apart by themselves. And He was transfigured before them, and His clothes became gleaming exceedingly white, that a fuller on the earth is not able to whiten.
And Elijah appeared before them along with Moses, and they were talking with Jesus.
And answering, Peter said to Jesus, "Rabbi, it is good that we are here, and let us make three booths — one for you, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah" (for he did not know what to answer because they were very frightened). And there was a cloud overshadowing them, and there was a voice from the cloud, "This is my Son, the Beloved; hear Him!"
And suddenly when they looked around they no longer saw anyone but Jesus alone with them.
And as they were coming down out of the mountain, He ordered them not to tell anyone what they had seen except when the Son of Man should rise from the dead. And they kept the word, discussing among themselves what 'rising from the dead' meant.

No comments: