Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Fifth Sunday of Lent / Passion Sunday

1.) OLD ROMAN LECTIONARY

Introit

(Ps. 42 [43]:1-2a, 3)

Judge me, O God, and defend my cause against an unholy nation; deliver me from the unjust and deceitful man, for you are my God and my strength.
Send forth your light and your truth; they have led me, and brought me to your holy mountain, and into your tabernacles.
(The Gloria Patri is omitted)
Judge me, O God
...
Epistle

(Hebrews 9:11-15)
Brethren:
Christ, when He came, as a High Priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and perfect tabernacle not made with hands (that is, not of this creation), He entered once for all into the Holy Place, not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood, and so He Himself obtained eternal redemption. For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse our conscience from dead works to worship the living God? And for this reason He is the Mediator of the New Covenant, so that, since a death having occurred for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance, through Christ Jesus our Lord.
Gradual

(Ps. 142 [143]:9a, 10a; 17 [18]:48, 49)
Deliver me, O LORD, from my enemies; teach me to do your will.
V: You are my deliverer, O Lord, from the angry nations. You will lift me up above those who rise up against me; you will deliver me from the unjust man.
Tract

(Ps. 128 [129]:1-4)
"Often have they attacked me from my youth."
V: Let Israel now say, "Often have they attacked me from my youth;"
V: "Yet they could not prevail against me; the wicked have wrought upon my back."
V: "They have lengthened their iniquities; the LORD who is just will cut the necks of sinners."
Gospel

(John 8:46-59)
At that time, Jesus said to the multitudes of the Judeans, "Which of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? He who is of God hears God's words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God." Then the Judeans answered and said to Him, "Do we not say rightly that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?"
Jesus answered, "I do not have a demon; but I honor my Father – and you dishonor me. I am not seeking my glory; there is One who seeks and judges. Amen, Amen, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death for ever."
Therefore the Judeans said to Him, "Now we know that you have a demon! Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and You say, 'If anyone keeps my word he will never taste of death for ever.' You are not greater than our father Abraham who died, are you? And the prophets are dead - whom do you make yourself out to be?"
Jesus answered, "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. The one who glorifies me is my Father, He of whom you say, 'He is our God,' yet you have not known Him, but I know Him; if I say, 'I do not know him,' I would be a liar like you. But I do know him, and I keep His word. Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day, and he saw it and was glad."
Then the Judeans said to Him, "You do not yet have fifty years, and have you seen Abraham?" Jesus said to them, "Amen, Amen I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM!" Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the Temple.
Offertory

(Psalm 138:1; 118 [119]:17, 25b)
I offer you thanks, Lord, with all my heart; be kind to your servant so that I might live and keep your word; grant me life in accordance with your word, O Lord.
Communion

(1 Corinthians 11:24, 25)
"This is my body which is given for you; this cup is the new covenant in My blood," says the Lord. "Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."

2.) NEW ROMAN LECTIONARY, Year B

First Reading

(Jeremiah 31:31-34)
"Behold, the days are coming," says the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand and led them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them," says the LORD.
"But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days," says the LORD. "I will put My law within their bowels and write it on their hearts; and I shall be their God, and they shall be my people. They shall not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," says the LORD; "for I will forgive their iniquity, and remember their sin no more."
Responsorial Psalm

(Psalm 51 [50]:3-4, 12-13, 14-15 [1-2, 10-11, 12-13])
R. (12a) Create a clean heart in me, O God.
Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love;
According to your great mercy wipe away my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,

And cleanse me from my sin.
R. Create a clean heart in me, O God.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit in my inner being.
Do not cast me away from before you,
And do not take your Holy Spirit from me.
R. Create a clean heart in me, O God.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
And with a willing spirit sustain me.
Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
And sinners will be converted to You.
R. Create a clean heart in me, O God.
Second Reading

(Hebrew 5:7-9)
Brethren: in the days of His flesh Christ Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to Him who was able to save Him from death, and He was heard because of His godly fear. Although He was a Son, He learned obedience through the things He suffered; and having been perfected, He became the Source of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.
Gospel

(John 12:20-33)
There were some Greeks among those who came up to worship at the feast of the Passover. Then they came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and were asking him, saying, "Sir, we wish to see Jesus." Philip went and told Andrew; and Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus.
Jesus answered them, saying, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Amen, Amen, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains only a single grain. But if it dies, it bears much fruit. He who loves his life destroys it, and he who hates his life in this world keeps it for eternal life. If anyone wants to serve me, he must follow me, and where I am, there my servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him my Father will honor.
"Now my soul is restless, and what should I say — 'Father, deliver me from this hour?' No, but for this purpose I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name!" Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again." The crowd that stood there and heard it said that it had thundered. Others said, "An angel has spoken to him!"
Jesus answered and said, "This voice did not come for my sake but for your sakes. Now is the judgment of this world - now the ruler of this world will be thrown out! And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself" (This He said to indicate by what death He would die).

No comments: