Wednesday, March 25, 2009

March 25 - The Annunciation

1.) OLD ROMAN LECTIONARY

Introit

(Ps. 44:13, 15, 16, 2 [45:14, 16, 17; 3])

All the rich men of the people will entreat your countenance; after her will virgins be brought to the king; her neighbors will be brought to you in gladness and rejoicing.
My heart has uttered a good word; I speak my works to the king.
V: Glory to the Father...
All the rich men of the people...
EPISTLE

(Isaiah 7:10-15)
In those days the LORD spoke to Ahaz, saying, "Ask a sign from the LORD your God; make it deep as Sheol or make it high upwards." But Ahaz said, "I will not ask, and I will not test the LORD!"

And he said, "Hear now, O house of David! Is it too little for you to weary men, that you weary my God also? Therefore the LORD Himself will give you a sign: behold, the virgin is to conceive and bear a son, and will call his name 'Imanu-El'. He will eat curds and honey for his knowing to reject the evil and choose the good."
Gradual

(Ps. 44:3, 5 [45:4, 6])
Grace is poured freely into your lips; therefore God has blessed you forever.
V: Because of truth and meekness and justice, and right hand shall lead you wondrously.
Tract

(Ps. 44:11, 12)
Hear, O daughter, and see, and turn your ear; for the King has greatly desired your beauty.
V: All the rich men of the people will entreat your countenance with gifts; the daughters of kings in your honor.
V: After her will virgins be brought to the king; her neighbors will be brought to you.
V: They will be brought with gladness and rejoicing; they will be brought into the temple of the king.
GOSPEL

(Luke 1:26-38)
At that time the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee named Nazareth, to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. And coming to her, he said, "Hail, full of grace! The Lord is with you [, blessed are you amongst women]!" But [when she saw,] she was troubled at his saying, and began to wonder what kind of greeting this might be.
And the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found grace with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will call His name Jesus; this one will be great, and will be called 'the Son of the Most High', and the Lord God will give Him the throne of his father David. And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end."
And Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I have not known man?" And the angel said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the one born holy [by you] will be called the Son of God.
"And behold, your relative Elizabeth has also conceived a son in her old age – and this is the sixth month for her who was called barren, for nothing will be impossible with God!" And Mary said, "Behold, I am the bondservant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word."
OFFERTORY

(Luke 1:28, 42)
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you;
Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the Fruit of your womb.
COMMUNION

(Isaiah 7:14)
Behold, the virgin is to conceive and bear a son, and will call his name Immanuel.
2.) NEW ROMAN LECTIONARY

First Reading

(Isaiah 7:10-14; 8:10)
The LORD spoke to Ahaz, saying, "Ask a sign from the LORD your God; make it deep as Sheol or make it high upwards." But Ahaz said, "I will not ask, and will I not test the LORD!"

And he said, "Hear now, O house of David! Is it too little for you to weary men, that you weary my God also? Therefore the LORD Himself will give you a sign: behold, the virgin is to conceive and bear a son, and will call his name 'Imanu-El', which means 'With us is God'."
Responsorial Psalm

(Psalm 40 [39]:7-8a, 8b-9, 10, 11 [6-7a, 7b-8, 9, 10])
R. (8a and 9a) Here I am, LORD; I come to do your will.
Sacrifice and offering you do not desire, but ears you hollowed out for me. Burnt offering and sin offering you have not required, then said I, "Behold I come."
R. Here I am, LORD; I come to do your will.
"In the roll of the scroll it is written about me, I delight to do your will, O my God; and your Law is in the midst of my belly!"
R. Here I am, LORD; I come to do your will.
I proclaim justice in the great assembly; behold, my lips I do not restrain, O LORD, you know.
R. Here I am, LORD; I come to do your will.
Your justice I have not hidden in the midst of my heart; your faithfulness and your salvation I have spoken of; I have not concealed your mercy and your faithfulness from the great congregation.
R. Here I am, LORD; I come to do your will.
Second Reading

(Hebrews 10:4-10)
Brethren:
It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins, therefore when [Christ] came into the world, He said, "Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me; in whole burnt offerings and sin-offerings you took no pleasure. Then I said, 'Behold, I have come – it is written of me in the scroll of the book – to do your will, O God.'"
When He says above, "Sacrifices and offerings and whole burnt offerings and sin-offerings you did not desire nor did you take pleasure in them" (which are offered according to the law), then He says, "Behold, I have come to do Your will [O God]." He abolishes the first in order to establish the second; by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Gospel

(Luke 1:26-38)
The angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee named Nazareth, to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. And coming to her, he said, "Hail, full of grace! The Lord is with you [, blessed are you amongst women]!" But [when she saw,] she was troubled at his saying, and began to wonder what kind of greeting this might be.
And the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found grace with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will call His name Jesus; this one will be great, and will be called 'the Son of the Most High', and the Lord God will give Him the throne of his father David. And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end."
And Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I have not known man?" And the angel said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the one born holy [by you] will be called the Son of God.
"And behold, your relative Elizabeth has also conceived a son in her old age – and this is the sixth month for her who was called barren, for nothing will be impossible with God!" And Mary said, "Behold, I am the bondservant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her.
3.) BYZANTINE LECTIONARY

Apolytikion
Today is the crowning of our salvation and the manifestation of the Mystery from the ages: the Son of God becomes the Son of the Virgin, and Gabriel proclaims the tidings of grace: wherefore do we shout out with him to the Theotokos, 'Rejoice, O full of grace, the Lord is with you!'
Troparion
Today is the crowning of our salvation and the manifestation of the Mystery from the ages...
Kontakion
To you, the Champion Leader, we your faithful dedicate a feast of victory and of thanksgiving as ones rescued out of sufferings, O Theotokos. But as you are one with might which is invincible, deliver us from all dangers that can be so that we may cry out to you, 'Rejoice, O Bride unwedded!'
Prokeimenon

(Psalm 96 [95]: 2, 1)

From day to day proclaim the salvation of our God.
Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all the earth.


Epistle

(Hebrews 2:11-18)

Brethren, He who makes holy and those being made holy are all from One; for which reason He is not ashamed to call them 'brethren', saying, "I will declare your name to my brethren; in the midst of the assembly I will sing praise to you," and again, "I will put my trust in him," and again, "Behold, I and the children whom God has given me." Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He likewise partook of the same, that through death He might destroy him who holds the power of death (that is, the devil) and set free those who all their lives were held in slavery by the fear of death. For truly He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham. Therefore He had to be made like His brethren in all things, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things relating to God, to make atonement for the sins of the people. For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.
Gospel

(Luke 1:24-38)

Alleluia

(Psalm 71 [72]:6, 17)
He descends like the rain on the grass, like showers that water the earth.
May His name be blessed forever, His name continue as long as the sun.
Communion

(Psalm 131 [132]:13)
The LORD has chosen Zion; He prefers her for His dwelling.
Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia.

No comments: