Saturday, March 7, 2009

The First Sunday of Lent

1.) OLD ROMAN LECTIONARY

Introit

(Ps. 90 [91]:15a, 16, 1)
He will call out to me, and I will hear him; I will deliver him and glorify him; I will satisfy him with length of days.
He who dwells with the aid of the Most High, will abide under the protection of the God of Heaven.
V: Glory be to the Father...
He will call out to me...
Epistle

(2 Cor. 6:1-10)
Brethren:
We urge you not to receive the grace of God in vain. For He says, "In an acceptable time I have heard you, and in the day of salvation I have helped you." Behold, now is the 'acceptable time'; behold, now is 'the day of salvation'!
Giving no offense in anything, that our ministry may not be blamed, but in all things commending ourselves as ministers of God in great patience, in afflictions, in hardships, in calamities, in stripes, in imprisonments, in rebellions, in troubles, in vigilance, in fasting;
in chastity, in knowledge, in patience, in kindness, in the Holy Spirit, in unfeigned love;
in the Word of truth, in the power of God; by the armor of righteousness on the right hand and on the left;
by honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report; as deceivers, and yet true; as unknown, and yet known; as dying. and behold. we live; as punished, and yet not killed; as sorrowful, but always rejoicing; as poor, but making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.
Gradual

(Psalm 90 [91]:11-12)
God has given His angels charge over you, to guard you in all your ways.
V: They will bear you up in their hands, lest you strike your foot against a stone
.
Tract

(Psalm 90 [91]:1-7, 11-16)

He who dwells with the aid of the Most High, will abide under the protection of the God of Heaven.
V: He will say to the LORD, "You are my protector and my refuge; my God, in Him will I trust;
V: "For he has delivered me from the snare of the hunters and from the harsh word."
V: He will overshadow you with His shoulders; and you will trust under His wings.

V: His truth will surround you with a shield; you will not be afraid of the terror of the night;
V: Of the arrow that flies by day, of the troubles that wander in darkness; nor of invasion and the midday demon.
V: A thousand will fall at your side and ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not draw near you.
V: For He has given His angels charge over you, to guard you in all your ways.
V: They will bear you up in their hands, lest you strike your foot against a stone.
V: You will walk over the asp and the basilisk, and you will trample underfoot the lion and the dragon.
V: "Because he hoped in me I will deliver him; I will protect him because he has known my Name.
V: "He will call out to me, and I will hear him; I am with him in tribulation."
V: "I will deliver him and glorify him; I will satisfy him with length of days, and show him my salvation."

Gospel

(Matt. 4:1-11)
At that time Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. And having fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry. And the tempter came and said to Him, "If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become bread." But He answered and said, "It is written: 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
Then the devil took him to the holy city, and he stood Him on the highest point of the temple and said to Him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down. For it is written, 'He will command His angels concerning you,' and, 'On their hands they will bear you up, so that you will not dash your foot against a stone.'" Jesus said to him, "It is written again, 'You shall not put the LORD your God to the test.'"
Again, the devil took Him up on a very high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory.
And he said to Him, "All these things I will give you if, falling down, you will worship me." Then Jesus said to him, "Away with you, Satan! For it is written, 'You shall worship the LORD your God, and serve only Him'."
Then the devil left Him, and behold, angels came and ministered to Him.
Offertory

(Ps. 90:4, 5a)

The LORD will overshadow you with His shoulders; and you will trust under His wings; His truth will surround you with a shield.
Communion

(Ps. 90:4, 5a)

2.) NEW ROMAN LECTIONARY, Year B


First Reading

(Genesis 9:8-15)

God said to Noah and to his sons with him, saying, "I – behold – I confirm my covenant with you and with your seed after you, and with every living creature that is with you: the birds, the beasts, and every living creature of the earth with you, all that comes out of the ark – every living creature of the earth. I confirm my covenant with you: Never again will all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth."

And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and between you and every living creature with you, for future generations: I set my bow in the clouds, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. It will be, when I bring clouds over the earth, and the bow is seen in the clouds, and I will remember my covenant which is between me and between you and with all living creatures of all flesh. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all flesh."

Responsorial Psalm

(Psalm 25:4-5ab, 6-7b, 8-9)

R. (cf. 10) Your ways, O Lord, are love and truth to those who keep your covenant.
Make known to me your ways, O LORD; Teach me your paths,
Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior.
R. Your ways, O Lord, are love and truth to those who keep your covenant.
Remember, O LORD, your mercies and your steadfast love, for they are from of old.
According to Your mercy remember me, for the sake of your goodness, O LORD. R. Your ways, O Lord, are love and truth to those who keep your covenant.
Good and just is the LORD; therefore He instructs sinners in the way.
He guides the humble to justice, and teaches the humble His way.
R. Your ways, O Lord, are love and truth to those who keep your covenant.

Second Reading

(1 Peter 3:18-22)

Beloved:
Christ suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, to bring you to God, by being put to death in the flesh but by being made alive in the spirit; in which also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, who were once disobedient when the patience of God patiently waited in the days of Noah, while an ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is eight souls, were delivered through water; and the antitype of which – baptism – now saves you (not a removal of the dirt of the flesh but an appeal for a good conscience towards God) through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels and authorities and powers made subject to Him.

Gospel

(Mark 1:12-15)

The Spirit drove Jesus into the wilderness, and He was in the wilderness forty days, being tested by Satan; and He was with the wild beasts, and the angels were ministering to Him.

And after John had been handed over, Jesus came to Galilee preaching the good news of God, and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent, and believe in the good news!"

No comments: