Thursday, April 9, 2009

Holy Thursday

1.) FROM THE OLD ROMAN LECTIONARY:

Introit

(Galatians 6:14; Psalm 66 [67]:2)
We should glory in nothing except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, in whom is our salvation, life, and resurrection; by whom we are saved and liberated.
May God have mercy on us, and bless us; may He cause the light of His countenance to shine upon us; and may He have mercy on us.

We should glory in nothing...
Epistle

(1 Corinthians 11:20-32)
Brethren:
When you come together in one place, it is not to eat the Lord's Supper. For when it is time to eat, everyone proceeds with his own supper, and one is hungry and another is drunk. What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What should I say to you? Should I praise you? In this I do not praise you!

For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the night in which He was betrayed took bread; and giving thanks, broke and said, "This is my Body, which will be delivered for you. Do this in remembrance of me." In the same way also the cup also after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my Blood. Do this, as often as you drink, in remembrance of me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the the death of the Lord until He comes.

Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the Body and Blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and in this manner let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Body of the Lord. For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and many are asleep. But if we examined ourselves, we would not be judged. But when we are judged, we are disciplined by the Lord that we will not be condemned with the world.
Gradual

(Philippians 2:8, 9)
Christ became obedient for us to death, even to death on the cross.
V: For this reason God exalted Him and gave Him a Name which is above all names.
Gospel

(John 13:1-15)
Before the feast of the Passover, Jesus knew that His hour had come, that He should depart from this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He now loved them to the very end. And supper being ended - the devil having already put into the heart of Judas Iscariot of Simon to betray Him - because He knew that the Father had given all things into his hands and that He had come from God and was going back to God, rose from supper and laid aside His garments, and taking a towel He girded himself. Then He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.

Then He came to Simon Peter. He said to Him, "Lord, are you washing my feet?" Jesus answered and said to him, "You do not know what I am doing now, but you will know after these." Peter said to him, "You will never wash my feet to the age!" Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no share with me." Simon Peter said to Him, "Lord, not only my feet, but also the hands and the head!" Jesus said to him, "He who has bathed has no need except to wash the feet, but is entirely clean. And you are clean, but not all of you" (because He knew who would betray Him; for this He said, "You are not all clean").

So when He had washed their feet and had taken His garments and had reclined again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and do so correctly - and I am these things. If I then, the 'Lord' and the 'Teacher', have washed your feet, you too ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you."
Offertory

(Psalm 117 [118]:16, 17)
The right hand of the LORD has wrought strength; the right hand of the LORD exalted me. I will not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD.
Communion

(John 13:12, 13, 15)
The Lord Jesus, after He had eaten with His disciples, washed their feet, and said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you, the Lord and Master? I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you."
2.) FROM THE NEW ROMAN LECTIONARY:

(Mass of the Lord's Supper)

First Reading

(Exodus 12:1-8, 11-14)
The LORD said to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, saying, "This month is to be your beginning of months; it will be your first month of the year to you. Speak to all the congregation of Israel, saying: 'In the tenth day of this month every man must take for himself a lamb according to the house of their fathers – a lamb for each house. And if the house is too small for lamb, he and his neighbor who is near to his house are to take according to the number of souls - you will make your count for the lamb according to each man's need. Your lamb shall be without blemish, a son of a year; you may take it from the sheep or from the goats.
And it will be for you for a keeping until the fourteenth day of this month, and then all the assembly of the community of Israel will kill it between the two evenings. And they will take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and the lintel of the houses where they will eat it. Then they shall eat the flesh that night, roasted in fire; with unleavened bread and with bitter herbs they will eat it.

"This is how you are to eat it: with your loins girded, your sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and you shall eat it in haste. It is the passover of the LORD. I will pass through the land of Egypt on that night, and I will smite the firstborn in the land of Egypt - from man and to beast - and on all the gods of Egypt I will pass judgments. I am the LORD!
And the blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are; and when I see the blood I will pass over you, and the plague will not fall on you for destruction when I strike the land of Egypt. And this day will be to you a memorial, and you will celebrate it as a feast to the LORD throughout your generation; you shall keep it as a feast as a statute forever.
"
Responsorial Psalm

(Psalm 116 [115]:12-13, 15-16bc, 17-18)
R: (cf. 1 Cor 10:16) Our blessing-cup is a communion with the Blood of Christ.
How can I repay the Lord for all His acts of kindness to me?
The cup of salvation I will lift up, and call on the name of the LORD.
R: Our blessing-cup is a communion with the Blood of Christ.
Precious in the eyes of the LORD is the death of His godly ones.
O LORD, truly I am Your servant; am your servant, the son of your handmaid; you have loosed my bonds.
R: Our blessing-cup is a communion with the Blood of Christ.
I will offer to You the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and call on the name of the LORD.
I will pay my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people.
R: Our blessing-cup is a communion with the Blood of Christ.
Second Reading

(1 Corinthians 11:23-26)

Gospel

(John 13:1-15)

No comments: