Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday, Part 01

1.) FROM THE OLD ROMAN LECTIONARY:

Prophecy

(Hosea 5:15; 6:1-6)
Thus says the LORD:
"
In their affliction they will rise early to me, 'Come, and let us return to the LORD; for He had seized us, and He will heal us; He will strike, and He will cure us. After two days He will revive us; on the third day He will raise us up, and we shall live in His sight. We shall know and we shall follow on, that we may know the LORD. His going forth is established as the morning light; and He will come to us like the former and the latter rain to the earth.'
What shall I do with you, O Ephraim? What shall I do with you, O Judah? Your mercy is like a morning cloud and like the dew that goes away in the morning. For this reason I have hewed them by the Prophets, I have killed them by the words of my mouth; and your judgments shall go forth like the light. For I desire mercy and not sacrifice, and knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.
"
Tract

(Habbakuk 3:1-4)

[NOTE: this is actually a passage using one a Vetus Latina translation instead of the Latin Vulgate]
O LORD, I have heard your hearing and was afraid; I have looked at your works and trembled.
V: In the midst of two animals you will be made known; when the years draw near you will be recognized; when the time comes you will be manisfested.
V: When my soul is in trouble, you will remember mercy, even in your wrath.
V: God will come from Lebanon, and the Holy One from from the shady and thickly covered mountain.
V: His majesty has covered the heavens, and the earth is full of His praise.
Lesson

(Exodus 12:1-11)

In those days the LORD said to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt:
"
This month is to be your beginning of months; it will be the first month of the year to you. Speak to the whole assembly of the sons of Israel, saying, 'On the tenth day of this month let everyone take a lamb, by their families and houses. But if the number is less than may suffice to be able to consume the lamb, he shall accept his neighbor who has been joined with his house, according to the number of souls which may be enough to eat the lamb.
It shall be a lamb without blemish, a male, of one year; according to this rite, you shall also take a young goat, and it will be for you for a keeping until the fourteenth day of this month; and the whole multitude of the sons of Israel shall sacrifice it towards evening.
And they will take from its blood, and place it upon both the side posts and the upper doorposts of the houses, in which they will eat it. And they will eat the meat that night roasted by fire, and unleavened bread with wild lettuce. You shall not eat anything from it raw nor boiled in water, but only roasted by fire. You shall devour the head with its legs and intestines. Neither shall there remain anything from it until morning; anything that have been left over you shall burn with fire. And thus you shall eat it: you shall gird your waist, and you shall have sandals on your feet, holding staves in your hands, and you shall consume it in haste - for it is the Passover (that is, the crossing) of the LORD.
"
Tract

(Psalm 139:2-10, 14)
Deliver me, O LORD, from the evil person; rescue me from the unjust man.
V: Who have devised iniquities in their hearts; all day long they constructed conflicts.
V: They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; the venom of asps is under their lips.
V: Keep me, O LORD, from the hand of the sinner, and deliver me from unjust men.
V: Who have decided to supplant my steps; the arrogant have hidden a snare for me.
V: And they have stretched out cords for a snare for my feet; they have placed for me a stumbling-block near the road.
V: I said to the LORD, "You are my God; O LORD, hear the voice of my supplication!"
V: LORD, O LORD, the strength of my salvation; overshadow my head in the day of battle.
V: Give me not up by my desire to the sinner; they have plotted against me. Do not abandon me, lest they should triumph!
V: The head of those who encompass me, the labor of their lips, will overwhelm them.
V: So then truly the just will confess your Name, and the upright will dwell with your Face.
The Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ according to John

(John 18:1-40; 19:1-42)

At that time Jesus went out with his disciples across the torrent of the Kidron, where there was a garden, which He and His disciples entered. And Judas, who betrayed Him, also knew the place because Jesus met there often with His disciples; so Judas obtained a cohort, and officers of the chief priests and Pharisees, and they came there with lanterns, torches, and weapons. Jesus therefore, knowing all things that were coming upon Him, went forward and said to them, "Whom do you seek?" They answered, "Jesus the Nazarene." Jesus said to them, "I AM." And Judas who betrayed Him also stood with them. Now when He said to them, "I AM," they moved back and fell to the ground. Again He asked them, "Whom do you seek?" And they said, "Jesus the Nazarene." Jesus answered, "I told you that I AM. If you are seeking me, let these men go," (to fulfill the word He had spoken, "Of those whom you gave me, I did not lose one of them.")
Simon Peter then - who had a sword - drew it and struck the high priest's slave, cutting off his right ear - the slave’s name was Malchus. But Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword back into the sheath! The cup that the Father has given me to drink, shall I not drink it?" Then the cohort and the tribunus and the officers of the Judeans seized Jesus and bound Him, and brought him first to Annas - for he was the father-in-law of Caiaphas who was high priest that year. (Now it was Caiaphas who counseled the Judeans that it was expedient that one man die for the people.)

And Simon Peter and another disciple was following Jesus - now that disciple was known to the high priest - and went with Jesus into the courtyard of the high priest, but Peter stood outside at the door. Then the other disciple who was known to the high priest went out and spoke to the doorkeeper, and brought Peter in. Then said the maidservant who was the doorkeeper to Peter, "You are not also one of this man's disciples, are you?" He said, "I am not." Now the slaves and the officers were standing there, having made a charcoal fire because it was cold, and they were warming themselves. Peter also was standing with them, warming himself.

The high priest questioned Jesus about His disciples and His doctrine. Jesus answered him, "I spoke publicly to the world. I always taught in the synagogues and in the temple where all the Judeans come together, and I have said nothing in secret. Why do you ask me? Ask those who heard what I said to them. Look, they know what I said." When He had said this, one of the officers standing by gave Jesus a strike, saying, "Is that how you answer the high priest?" Jesus answered, "If I have spoken improperly, testify to the evil. But if rightly, why do you beat me?" Then Annas sent Him bound to Caiaphas the high priest.

Now Simon Peter was standing and warming himself. They said to him, "You are not also one of His disciples, are you?" He denied it and said, "I am not." One of the slaves of the high priest, a relative of him whose ear Peter had cut off, said, "Did I not see you in the garden with Him?" Again therefore Peter denied it; and immediately a rooster crowed.

No comments: