Saturday, April 11, 2009

Good Friday, Part 03

2.) FROM THE NEW ROMAN LECTIONARY:

First Reading

(Isaiah 52:13—53:12)

Behold, my servant shall act wisely; he will be exalted, and lifted up, and be very high;
(just as many were astonished at you) such was the disfigurement of his appearance - more than any man,
And his form more than the sons of men - so shall he sprinkle many nations.
Kings will shut their mouths because of him, for what had not been told them they shall see, and what they had not heard they shall understand.

Who would have believed our report, and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?
For he grew up before Him like a sapling, and like a root out of dry ground;
He had no form or majesty that we should see him, nor appearance that we should be attracted to him.
He was despised and lacking of men - a man of pain, acquainted with illness;
Like a hiding of the face from him he was despised, and we did not esteem him.

But indeed he has borne our illnesses and carried our pains, yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God and afflicted.
He was wounded for our rebellions, crushed for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; by his bruises we are healed.
All we like sheep have wandered - we have turned, every one, to his own way; and the LORD has made the iniquity of us all to meet on him.

He was oppressed and he was afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth.
Like a lamb led to slaughter, and an ewe silent before her shearers, so he opened not his mouth.
By humiliation and judgment he was taken away - and his generation, who considers?
For he was cut off from the land of the living, plague-stricken for the rebellion of his people.
They assigned his grave with criminals and with the rich in his deaths, for he had done no violence, nor was there any deceit in his mouth. But the LORD desired to crush him and weaken him.

If he makes his life a guilt offering, he shall see his seed and prolong his days,
And the delight of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
He shall see the labor of his life, and shall be satisfied by his knowledge.

The righteous one, my servant, shall make many righteous, for he shall bear their iniquities.
Therefore I will assign him a portion with the multitudes, and he shall divide the plunder with the powerful,
Because he laid bare his life to death and was numbered with the rebels,
And he bore the sin of many and made intercession for the rebels.
Responsorial Psalm

(Psalm 31 (32):2, 6, 12-13, 15-16, 17, 25)

R. (Luke 23:46) Father, into your hands I entrust my spirit.
In you, O LORD, I have taken shelter!
Let me never be put to shame; in your justice deliver me.
Into your hand I entrust my spirit; you have redeemed me O LORD, God of truth.
R. Father, into your hands I entrust my spirit.
Because of all my enemies I am a reproach - and to my neighbors, exceedingly, and horror to my acquaintances; those who see me in the street run away from me.
I am forgotten, like a dead man, from the heart; I am like a broken vessel.
R. Father, into your hands I entrust my spirit.
But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, "You are my God!"
My times are in your hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies and pursuers.
R. Father, into your hands I entrust my spirit.
Let your face shine upon your servant; save me in your steadfast love.
Be strong and let your hearts take courage, all you who hope in the LORD!
R. Father, into your hands I entrust my spirit.
Second Reading

(Hebrews 4:14-16; 5:7-9)

Brethren:
Since, then, we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every respect has been tested as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us boldly approach the throne of grace to receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

In the days of his flesh, He offered prayers and supplications with loud cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His devotion. Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what He suffered; and having been perfected, He became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.
The Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ

(John 18:1—19:42)

No comments: