Tuesday, January 6, 2009

January 6- The Epiphany of the Lord (aka The Theophany)


1.) ROMAN LECTIONARY

(Matthew 2:1-12)

After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea in the days of King Herod, behold, magi from the East came to Jerusalem, saying, "Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him." When Herod the king heard he was disturbed, and all Jerusalem with him.

And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he asked them where the Christ was to be born. But they said to him, "In Bethlehem of Judea, for this is what has been written by the prophet:

'And you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for out of you will come a ruler who will shepherd my people Israel.'"

Then Herod privately summoned the magi and determined from them what time the star had appeared. And he sent them to Bethlehem and said, "Go and look carefully for the child, and when you have found Him, bring me word so that I too may go and worship Him." When they heard the king, they left; and behold, the star which they had seen in the East went before them until it stopped above where the Child was. When they saw the star they rejoiced with very great joy.

And when they had come into the house they saw the Child with Mary His mother; and they fell down and worshiped Him. And when they had opened their treasures, they gave to Him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. And having been warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed for their own country another way.
2.) MOZARABIC LECTIONARY

(Matthew 2:1-23)

3.) BYZANTINE LECTIONARY

(Matthew 3:13-17)

At that time, Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him. And John tried to prevent Him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" But Jesus, answering, said, "Let it be so now, for it is proper for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he permitted Him. After Jesus had been baptized, He came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming on Him. And behold a voice from the heavens, saying, "This is my Son, the beloved, with whom I am well pleased."
4.) COPTIC LECTIONARY

(John 1:18-34)

No one has ever seen God. The only-begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has made Him known.

And this is the testimony of John when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, "Who are you?" He confessed (and did not deny but confessed), "I am not the Christ!" And they asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" And he says, "I am not." "Are you the prophet?" And he answered, "No." Then they said to him, "Who are you, that we can give an answer to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?" He said, "I am 'The voice of one crying in the wilderness: "Make straight the way of the Lord,"' as Isaiah the prophet said." (Now they had been sent from the Pharisees.)

And they asked him, saying, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the prophet?" John answered them, saying, "I baptize with water, but among you there stands one you do not know, who is coming after me, of whom I am not worthy to untie the strap of His sandal!"

These things happened in Bethany beyond the Jordan where John was baptizing.

On the next day he sees Jesus coming toward him and says, "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! This is He of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who has a higher rank than I for He was before me.’ I did not know Him, but so that He might be revealed to Israel, I came baptizing with water."

And John testified, saying, "I saw the Spirit descending like a dove from heaven, and He remained upon Him. And I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' And I have seen and have testified that this is the Son of God.
"

No comments: