Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Mass as it was in the City of Rome: The differences between Ordo I and the St. Amand Ordo

Here, we will list the observable differences between the Ordo of the Mass as it appears in the First Roman Ordo (end of the 7th century?) and the Ordo of St. Amand (9th century), which may show us an interesting example of evolution (some subtle changes, and some not-so-subtle ones) that the liturgy of Rome underwent as years went on:

1.) Ordo Romanus I: An Acolyte carries in the Gospel-Book before Mass. The Subdeacon-Attendant precedes him; on arriving at the Altar he takes the Book from him and sets it thereon.
Ordo of St. Amand: The Gospel-Book is carried in by a Subdeacon and set on the Altar by him.

2.) Ordo Romanus I: A District-Subdeacon ascertains who is to sing the Gradual and etc., then tells the Pope who sings and who reads the Epistle.
Ordo of St. Amand: The Ruler of the Choir tells a District-Subdeacon, who then tells the Pope. No mention of the Epistoler.

3.) Ordo Romanus I: When all are ready to enter, the Ruler of the Choir goes to the Precentor and says, "Sir, command!"
Ordo of St. Amand: The Pope sends word to the Precentor and says, "Sir, command!"

4.) Ordo Romanus I: No mention of any tapers.
Ordo of St. Amand: The bringing in of the Oblationer's two tapers.

5.) Ordo Romanus I: Inspection of the Eucharist reserved from previous Solemn Mass.
Ordo of St. Amand: No mention of this.

6.) Ordo Romanus I: The Pax is given before the Gloria Patri is sung.
Ordo of St. Amand: Pax given after Gloria Patri.

7.) Ordo Romanus I: Kyries sung by the Choir.
Ordo of St. Amand: Kyries sung by the Choir and repeated by the District officials below the Ambo.

8.) Ordo Romanus I: After the Responsory Psalm the Gospeller kisses the Pope's feet.
Ordo of St. Amand: The Gospeller only bows to the Pope.

9.) Ordo Romanus I: The Subdeacon-Attendant holds the Gospel-Book for the kissing after the reading.
Ordo of St. Amand: The Gospel-Book held by a Subdeacon.

10.) Ordo Romanus I: No mention of the Pallium (used here in the sense of Altar cloth).
Ordo of St. Amand: Pallium (if any) turned back off the Altar.

11.) Ordo Romanus I: The Ruler of the Choir offers water for the Chalice to the Subdeacon-Attendant.
Ordo of St. Amand: One of the Choir offers water to the Subdeacon-Oblationer.

12.) Ordo Romanus I: The Offertory Veil used in setting the Chalice on the Altar.
Ordo of St. Amand: No mention of the Offertory Veil.

13.) Ordo Romanus I: No mention of Acolytes.
Ordo of St. Amand: At Sanctus Acolytes with palls stand behind the Deacons holding Ewers and sacks.

14.) Ordo Romanus I: The Acolyte acting as Patener has a linen cloth girt around his neck.
Ordo of St. Amand: The Patener has a silken Pall or Sudary marked with a Cross.

15.) Ordo Romanus I: The veil is used when the Archdeacon raises the Chalice at the second sacring.
Ordo of St. Amand: No mention of the veil.

16.) Ordo Romanus I: No mention of any Psalm.
Ordo of St. Amand: The Psalm Beati immaculati (Psalm 119 [118]: 1-8) is sung by Priests and Deacons at the Fraction.

17.) Ordo Romanus I: The Agnus Dei is sung by the Choir.
Ordo of St. Amand: The Agnus Dei is sung by the choir and repeated by the Acolytes.

18.) Ordo Romanus I: The Sancta and the Pax come before the Fraction. No mention of the Lavatory.
Ordo of St. Amand: No mention of the Sancta. The Pax and Lavatory is done after Communion.

19.) Ordo Romanus I: Invitations to breakfast are issued during the Agnus Del.
Ordo of St. Amand: After the Communion of the Subdeacons, Notaries and District Officials.

20.) Ordo Romanus I: The next Station is announced between the Communion of the Pope and that of the Bishops.
Ordo of St. Amand: The next Station is announced during the Communion of the Bishops and Presbyters.

No comments: